Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. – 1 Chronicles 16:34
This is always a special time of the year as we celebrate Thanksgiving and turn to the Christmas season. It also means that the 2018 legislative session, which begins in January, is just around the corner! I wanted to give you a quick update and get your feedback on the issues before the legislature convenes in January.
Make Your Voice Heard – Constituent Survey
Over the last several weeks, I’ve had the opportunity to visit with many of you to get your thoughts on issues before the upcoming legislative session. I’ve put together a constituent survey to better represent you!
If you’ve already mailed in your survey, thank you! If not, you can complete your Constituent Survey online here. It’s a short questionnaire that takes only a couple of minutes to complete. I would love to know which issues are most important to you and which solutions you support to better represent you in the state legislature!
My commitment to you has always been to set a new standard for transparency as your representative. To accomplish this, I’ve done several things to make it easier than ever for you to keep up with what’s going on in your state government, and how you can get involved.
- I post every single vote that I’ve taken on my website. You can view every vote that comes before the House, a short explanation of the bill, my vote, and an explanation of the vote.
- I send weekly email updates during the legislative session to keep you in the loop about which bills are moving forward and which issues the legislature is addressing. If you’re not already receiving these, you can sign up at the bottom of this page!
- During the session, you can see which bills are coming up for a vote in the House and what they do on my Calendar page.
- Beginning this session, I will be live streaming the daily action from the House on my Facebook page. Be sure to like my page here to see live video from the House floor.
- I always want to be open and accessible to you. You can always reach me by email at Joel@JoelBomgar.com, or on my cell phone at (601) 207-0813. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or requests that I can help with!
- Americans for Prosperity – Mississippi released their 2017 Economic Freedom Scorecard, grading legislators for their votes on taxes, spending, regulations, and education. I was honored to receive an “A” rating and the “Champion of Freedom” designation. You can see the full scorecard here.
- American Conservative Union also released their legislative scorecard for this year, examining votes based on conservative principles. I was honored to be one of 6 Representatives receiving their Award for Conservative Excellence. You can read the full scorecard here.
News from Madison and Ridgeland
- Students at Madison Central were recognized recently for their excellent performance, breaking their own record for the number of AP Scholars! You can see them all here, courtesy of the Madison County Journal. Congratulations!
- I enjoyed visiting Olde Towne Middle School in Ridgeland this month for their annual Career Day. Olde Towne does a great job of exposing their students to different ideas and career paths at an early age. Thank you to all of the educators, administrators, and parents who helped make this possible!
- I’ve been working with data produced by the Centers for Disease Control and regulatory boards in Mississippi to help us more effectively address the opioid epidemic that’s ravaging our state. WLBT posted a great video detailing the problem and some potential solutions, which you can view here.
From my family to yours, I want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving! Once again, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or requests you might have.
It’s an honor to represent you!